Updated: Wednesday, March 20 2013, 01:38 PM EDT
SOUTH COLUMBUS — An extermination attempt may have caused a house fire in South Columbus early Wednesday morning.
It seems that a family found bedbugs in their sofa. The fiancee sprayed it with a typical bedbug killer. So like many of us before her she went to the store and bought some bed bug spray. Later when an unknowing resident of the home lit a lighter to smoke the sofa became engulfed in flames.
Luckily the family escaped unharmed but not without a lot of damage to their apartment. This shows the importance of using extreme care when using products to kill these bugs.
You should always read the instructions of any product that you are going to use carefully and make sure to alert ALL family members to the precautions that they should take.
Another danger of bed bug sprays is using one of them around someone who has severe allergies. It’s all too easy to cause problems with people who are allergic or sensitive to pesticides.
You can read the full article here: House Fire Likely Caused by Bed Bug Spray
In a related story a small business owner blew up her business after using more than 30 of the bombs in her business to kill an infestation. When the water heater started the spark was enough blow up the entire business along with causing structural damage to the rest of the building.
Danger of Bed Bug Sprays
Always make sure that you carefully read and follow the instructions on the label of any product that you use. Never, ever, use an outdoor product indoors because this can be very dangerous.
Believe me when I say that I understand the frustration that having an infestation can cause. But causing a fire or destroying your home because of improper usage would cause an even bigger problem.